ThéMA is a geographical research laboratory. It is a joint research unit (UMR 6049) of the CNRS and the Universities of Franche-Comté and Burgundy. ThéMA forms part of the human sciences institutes of the two universities. It operates out of sites in Dijon and Besançon, the UMR's headquarters.
The research unit is active in several thematic areas in line with social demand. It is composed of three research teams – 'Mobility, Cities and Transport', 'Landscape and Living Environment' and 'Territorial Intelligence' – interlinked by a cross-cutting line of research.
- The software application MUP-City allows the user to simulate fractal residential development scenarios based on an existing urban pattern
- Clémentine Thierry is defending her PhD thesis "City and fortification: from heritage to the production of urban territory" on December 3th 2015 in Besançon.
- Maxime Frémond is defending her PhD thesis « A normative planning approach for the Luxembourg. Assessment based on spatial simulation» on November 6th 2015 in Besançon.
- ThéMA invited at the workshop on “Time-scales and energy transitions” hosted by LIED/Paris VII and co-organized by the national center for scientific research (CNRS)
- A noteworthy paper published in the Journal 'Progress in Planning': Conception and use of an individual-based model of residential choice in a planning decision process. Feedback from an experimental trial in the city of Besançon, France.