ThéMA is a geographical research laboratory. It is a joint research unit (UMR 6049) of the CNRS and the Universities of Franche-Comté and Burgundy. ThéMA forms part of the human sciences institutes of the two universities. It operates out of sites in Dijon and Besançon, the UMR's headquarters.
The research unit is active in several thematic areas in line with social demand. It is composed of three research teams – 'Mobility, Cities and Transport', 'Landscape and Living Environment' and 'Territorial Intelligence' – interlinked by a cross-cutting line of research.
- New version of Graphab software
- Marc Bourgeois is defending his PhD thesis "Ecological impacts of urban forms. Urban and landscape modelling." on December 11th 2015 in Besançon.
- The software application MUP-City allows the user to simulate fractal residential development scenarios based on an existing urban pattern
- Clémentine Thierry is defending her PhD thesis "City and fortification: from heritage to the production of urban territory" on December 3th 2015 in Besançon.
- Maxime Frémond is defending her PhD thesis « A normative planning approach for the Luxembourg. Assessment based on spatial simulation» on November 6th 2015 in Besançon.